Do you have headaches, neck aches, a jaw that clicks when you open your mouth, limited opening range of the jaw or ringing in the ears? It may be TMJ Syndrome. Some 60 million Americans have TMJS. It is what happens when the muscles in the jaw and the temporomandibular joint are out of alignment or under stress, causing problems when chewing. In simpler terms, the ligaments, muscles, bones and joint do not line up, thereby causing pain.
Symptoms of TMJS
- Clicking, popping or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Headaches and/or dizziness
- Tenderness in jaw muscles
- Jaws that sometimes lock open when yawning or if the mouth is held open
- Spasms or cramps in the jaw area
TMJS symptoms can be caused by mal-occlusion (a misaligned bite), worn or broken teeth, and clenching or grinding of the teeth. We can determine what the cause is of your TMJS and how best to treat it. For expert dental care, give us a call and schedule an appointment. Reach out to our office by calling 262-654-6535 at your earliest convenience!