Skip to Content
Post-Op Instructions After Root Canal
- Try to avoid chewing on that side until the anesthetic we used wears off. Your lips, tongue, teeth, and cheek may be numb for a couple of hours.
- If a temporary crown was placed on your tooth, avoid chewing gum or eating hard or sticky foods.
- You can brush and floss normally.
- If you were prescribed an antibiotic, take them as prescribed even if the signs of infection are gone. It is important to fully eliminate the infection.
- If you need pain medication to control discomfort, follow your dentist’s recommendation.
- To further reduce discomfort, try rinsing your mouth three times a day with warm salt water (approximately 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water).
- Be sure to contact our office if you continue to have pain or sensitivity that lasts longer than three or four days, if it increases in intensity, if a temporary filling or crown falls off, or if you have any further questions.